I spent a really long time illustrating my 2011 Artcrank poster and I just wanted to show you guys some of the process shots so you have an idea about how I came up with the final. Once I settled on a final idea, I started by shooting all of the crops of my bike that I wanted to use. You can see it was a pretty sweet photoshoot in our laundry room. I was a great excuse to get my bike cleaned up for the year since it was pretty dirty from last season still.
Next, I placed every item from the original illustrator file into photoshop one by one. The reason to place each element separately was so I could do a quick selection for image crops and for texture brush crops. The textures are a combination of the actual bike photos mixed with a texture brush I’ve been experimenting with.
Last, I picked out some French paper and PMS colors then sent my files to my buddy Jamie Paul out in Portland to get printed. A happy mistake that happened was that all of the heavy ink coverage from the cream color caused to paper to warp when it dried. Because of this, the registration ended up offsetting giving the final poster a really cool vintage feel. It reminds me of the registration on matchbooks from the 40′s and 50′s
Anyhow, If you’d like to see some more pictures of the final, check out my portfolio. And if you’d like to purchase a copy, it’s on sale at art-a-whirl in St.Paul. Check out the Artcrank site for details.